I am Tara.
I taste. I create. I taste again.
When I first moved to the United States, my family and I had this crazy notion that it would be hard for me to find good food in restaurants and enjoy vegetarian meals outside my home. Every since I have moved here, tasting authentic food which is often vegan, has become an addiction. It is everywhere.
I am always encouraging people I know, tourists and new immigrants, to try new food. The vegetarian food America has to offer is diverse. This country has such a vast variety of global cuisines right at our doorsteps, it would be a shame to eat only what we grew up with.
I take it a step further. I eat out and taste new thing and crave to eat them more often than just when I dine out. I don’t want to eat out all the time, nor spend as much as restaurants require. Besides, I am always unsure how much fat goes into my food when I dine outside. All of this makes me want to cook and make my own version of what I have tried. As often as possible, I try to recreate what I have tried.
I seem to enjoy eating (just not brunch), teaching and sharing. So, besides writing about food and sharing my recipes I teach young adults and children how to cook. I am delighted to share my meals with family and friends. Inviting people to break bread with my husband and me gives me utmost pleasure.
I originally posted the recipes and food articles on a website where I wrote about moving to a new country, things I wish I knew and so on. (www.journalsfromamerica.com) But I spend so much time with food, thinking about it and eating it, www.plantsandgrains.com emerged.
A little more:
- I do not cook with eggs. I can eat baked goods containing eggs but not omelets!
- I have been a vegetarian since birth. 🌱🌾🌿
- I baked long before I knew how to cook. Ashwin’s favorite is the Banana Nut Loaf.
- I grew up in India, which influences my cooking greatly.
- My tastes expanded only after I started cooking, which I did out of necessity.
- I had a sensory overload once I moved to New York City. 🗽
- I am in love with America and travel a lot in this country.
- When we go out to eat, we eat at as many authentic ethnic restaurants as we can.
- I have photos of myself only when we travel or terrible self-conscious selfies!
- Dinner times make me happiest– well presented, delicious food with wine and conversations! 😇
If you want to get in touch with me, want to learn or order some vegetarian cakes write to me at email@example.com; Or to subscribe to my posts, please fill in the the form below.